If you are heading off for a nice weekend break to Margate you might be looking for Things to do in Margate whilst you are there. Take a look at www.localthingstodo.co.uk/locations/things-to-do-in-margate/ is one of the best places to start and here for a few fun facts about the area for you to have a read through.
- Margate is located in Kent in the South-East of the UK. It has a population of over 62,000.
- The first reference of a town named Margate (or rather Meregate) goes back as far as 1264. The name was then changed to Margate in 1299, but the name has continued to be spelt a number of different ways over the years.
- It is thought that the name refers to a pool that appears in a gap in the cliffs, a bit like a lagoon,
that allows people to jump in from the cliff edge (although this is definitely not recommended).
- Margate has a long maritime history and it has been a popular seaside resort for over 250 years with families visiting during the warmer weather. It was one of the popular locations for factory workers to send their employees and their families on holiday during the two-week summer shut down.
- It is twinned with Larnaca in Cyprus; Idar-Oberstein in Germany Astana in Kazakhstan; and Yalta in Ukraine